Greetings and Salutations! This past week, my laziness reached new heights: I’ve done nothing for days but sit in my room and type on my laptop for hours on end. When my mother pulled up my blinds, I literally recoiled from the light, like some vile creature of the darkness.
“Kiana, you’re wasting your life in here!” exclaimed my mother. The expression on her face was unreadable, but if I had to guess, I’d wager that she was wondering how her first-born child had become the empty sack of flesh that lay before her. “Don’t you want-“
“I AM AN ARTIST, WOMAN.” I roared, my entire being shaking with righteous indignation. Then, my mother glared at me and I quickly apologized and she slowly backed out of the room, her cold, calculating gaze never leaving my face. #Summer2013
The truth is, I would never call what I do here on this blog art, rather, meaningless rambling on the internet. In fact, most of the time, it feels like nobody even reads my writing. I have to admit, sometimes it sucks throwing your heart and soul into the world and getting little to no feedback in return. That’s why whenever I receive even the slightest acknowledgement that I’m doing something right, I blush and modestly mumble my thanks, but on the inside, my brain is exploding with happiness.
The other day, I got just that: Katie over at Instead of an Elephant gave me the Liebster Award! *Insert wild cheering here*
For those of you who don’t know what that means, (AKA me until two days ago) allow me to explain: “Liebster” is allegedly the German word for “Dearest”. So the Liebster Award is a prize that one blogger gives to another as a special way of saying, “Hey. I care.” It’s basically a virtual high-five.
There are rules that come with receiving the Liebster Award, and they are as follows:
- You must share 11 things about yourself.
- Answer the 11 questions that your tagger has given you.
- Choose 11 other blogs for the nomination.
- Leave 11 questions for your nominees.
- Lastly, thank the person that nominated you and link back to their blog.
Shall we begin?
11 Things about Myself!
- I was a member of my school’s band program for six years and as a result, I can play three instruments. I started out with the flute, and I was pretty darn good, if I do say so myself. After that, I was overtaken by the SPIRIT OF MUSIC, which compelled me to learn how to play the Tenor Saxophone for my school’s jazz band. Then, my band teacher asked me to play the bassoon, and it all kinda went downhill from there.
- I have asthma. When I was little, I was really self-conscious about it for no reason at all. One time in first grade, this girl was all, “LOL Asthma is funny!” and I literally rage-flipped a table. MEMORIES.
- Another time in first grade, I had this really awesome candy necklace and, as a result, I became filled with narcissism. Look at all of these peasants, I thought with a smirk as I sashayed past my fellow classmates, None of them could ever match my style! But then, my teacher noticed and made me throw the necklace, along with my pride, into the trashcan.
- I am deathly afraid of heights. When my family went to Disney World on vacation, we went on the tallest roller-coaster there, and I went into shock.
- I am also deathly afraid of giants. Don’t ask.
- My favorite T.V. show is currently Scandal #GladiatorsInSuits.
- One day, I hope to own two pugs named Shawn and Gus after my second favorite T.V. show, Psych (which is on its last season! OH, THE HUMANITY.).
- I was a member of my school’s Speech team. My category was ‘Creative Expression’, which means that you write your own creative piece. One time, to the horror of everyone in the room, a girl gave a speech about killing her rapist brother by stabbing him with nails. When she sat down, she was all, “How’d I do???” I looked at her solemnly and replied, “You nailed it.” And then I laughed for decades and decades because that is the kind of person I am.
- When I was in third grade, I swore a vendetta against this girl named Emily in the middle of class. “YOU WILL PAY!” I shrieked as the sub dragged me outside. I like to think I’ve mellowed out since then.
- Every summer, I re-read The Princess Diaries series because NOSTALGIA.
- I hope to one day become a television writer that goes on to have a fabulous life and write a bestselling book, a la Mindy Kailing.
1.Tea or Coffee?
Neither. I’m a Kool-aide girl, myself.
2.What is the last news article/book/essay you read?
The last book I read was Sarah Dessen’s The Moon and More. It was fabulous and relatable and it made me feel like I was holding summer in the palm of my hands! It was a little different than her previous work, but in the best way possible. I highly recommend it.
3.What is the last song you listened to?
Miley Cyrus’ “We Can’t Stop” because I CANNOT STOP. Yes, Miley! YES, I see it’s you who bout dat life! But that music video…IDK if I’m about that life.
4.If you could speak another language fluently what would it be?
Valyrian because DAENERYS!
5.Necklaces or rings?
Again, neither. Imma have to go with fake beards.
6. Tumblr or Twitter or Facebook?
Twitter, because they just GET it.
7.What’s the best outfit you’ve ever worn?
8.What is your horoscope sign?
9.How did you meet your best friend?
I don’t really have one best friend so much as I have a small group of close friends. I’d like to think we met because our strange behavior drew us together like a giant, socially awkward magnet. It just kinda happened, you know?
10. What’s your favorite summer food/treat/drink?
FOOD: Anything you can eat with your hands DRINK: Punch TREAT: Ice Cream
11. If you could claim authorship for any poem, what would it be and why?
Oh, gosh. Probably anything from “Where the Sidewalk Ends” by Shel Silverstein because it makes me think of my childhood and brings up all sorts of happy memories.
I tag these 11 people!
I honestly don’t think that I know 11 blogs…
- The Red Impostor
- Dancing Without Moving
- The Flower and the Vine
- A Kate Reid Blog
- What High School Musical character do you think best describes you?
- What was your favorite book as a child?
- What is your favorite book now?
- If you could re-write the ending of Twilight, what would you change?
- What is your earliest memory?
- If you were a superhero, what would your name and power be?
- What is your favorite pattern and why? (ex. Plaid, paisley)
- What do you like the most about the summer?
- If you could place yourself in any fictional land, what would it be and why?
- What is your favorite Disney song?
- Would you describe yourself as being a member of the #TwerkTeam?
THAT TOOK SUCH A LONG TIME. My computer kept shutting down and I had to keep starting over and it was madness, I say, MADNESS.
Anyway, I would like to thank Katie for tagging me and giving me the award! That was super cool of you! Katie also has an awesome blog that you should definitely be reading right now. RIGHT NOW.
Oh God, I need to go to sleep.